FOGGY DAY INFO
To: Parents/Guardians of Clovis Unified Students
From: Michael Clear, Assistant Superintendent-Business Services
The Fresno County Schools Office and most school districts in Fresno County are again cooperating in reporting “Foggy Day” school bus schedules. During the 2016-17 school year, the following procedures will be used on extremely foggy days:
- A decision will be made no later than 6:00 a.m. as to whether or not the departure time of buses must be delayed.
- If departure times of school buses must be delayed, an announcement will be made on KVPT (TV) Channel 18 and KMJ 580 AM radio starting no later than 6:15 a.m. There will be continuous broadcasting on these channels.
- If buses within the district are delayed, the word “Schedule A” or “Schedule B” will appear after the name of the district.
- “Schedule A” means buses will be delayed two (2) hours and “Schedule B” means buses will be delayed four (4) hours. If fog conditions require that “Schedule B” is necessary, all transportation for morning kindergarten classes will be cancelled.
- All classes in the district will operate as per their regular schedule. Foggy day instructions apply only to bus transportation schedules and riders.
Students who walk or have their own transportation to school should arrive at their normal time; however, parents are advised to exercise discretion relative to particular conditions in and around their respective school attendance areas. Unless an additional announcement is made, afternoon bus and athletic runs will operate on a regular schedule.
Please realize that foggy days are called on a Districtwide basis and, due to the size of the district (199 square miles), not all areas in the district have the same fog density. Therefore, while it may or may not be foggy in your particular area, the decision to delay school is made in the best interest of the students Districtwide.
We request that you do not call the schools, the district office or the transportation department on foggy days. It is important that these telephone lines be kept open for bus driver reports and other emergency calls.
Hopefully, the above procedures will not have to be implemented during the upcoming foggy season. If a foggy day schedule must be called, your cooperation is sincerely appreciated.