Who is eligible for Transitional Kindergarten and Kindergarten?
To be eligible to register for kindergarten for the 2019-2020 school year, a child must reach five (5) years of age on or before September 1, 2019.
Transitional Kindergarten will be offered for the 2019-2010 school year. If your child will turn five (5) between the dates of September 2 and December 2, 2019, you can enroll him or her in Clovis Unified for Transitional Kindergarten. The Transitional Kindergarten program is designed as an introduction to the kindergarten curriculum for younger students and is a two-year program (year 1 - Transitional Kindergarten and year 2 - Kindergarten). What do I need to do to get ready to register my child?
Please note that only a parent or legal guardian may register a child for school. If you are currently the physical custodian of a child or a foster parent, please contact Student Services and School Attendance at (559) 327-9200 to make an appointment to be approved/recognized as the child’s caregiver. Appointments should be made prior to reporting to the school to complete the registration process.
Parents/Guardians/Caregivers should first confirm the school that aligns to their home dwelling address so they register at the correct school. To find out what school you should register for, please utilize the CUSD mapping program “What School Should My Child Attend
Parents/Guardians/Caregivers should review their child’s immunization records. Make sure that you have an up to date copy of all of the immunizations your child has received. For a list of immunizations required, please click here
If you are interested in attending a different school, other than your resident (home) school, transfer applications will be available after your register at your resident school. All students interested in transferring schools, must be registered at their resident (home) school prior to applying for a transfer.
If you are living out of the Clovis Unified School District attendance boundaries, you will need to apply for a transfer prior to registering at any Clovis Unified School District schools. There are two types of transfers available for out of district residents. The first type of transfer is for families that have a parent/legal guardian that is employed for more than 10 hours per week at a business or own a business within the CUSD attendance boundaries. Please check your employment address by utilizing the mapping program “What School Should My Child Attend”
. Applications for Employment Based Residency Transfers are available here
or at Student Services and School Attendance located at 1465 David E. Cook Way, Clovis, 93611. Applications require a recent paycheck stub and supervisor’s signature, or a valid business license and a recent lease agreement for office space within the district’s boundaries. All Applications should be turned in to Student Services and School Attendance beginning on March 1, 2019. This option is not available for Sierra Unified School District residents.
The second type of transfer is for families that live and work outside of the CUSD attendance boundaries. An Interdistrict Transfer application starts at the school district of residency (Example: Fresno Unified, Central Unified, Sanger Unified, and Sierra Unified). Parents/Guardians must contact their home school district to begin this process. It is recommended that parents/guardians begin this process as soon as possible as these types of transfers take time to process with two school districts involved. The first day districts within Fresno County will accept 2019-2020 Interdistrict Transfer applications is March 1, 2019. How do I register my child?
The kindergarten registration process has two steps. The first step is an online information gathering process. The link to register your child(ren) will be available on February 27, 2019 at 8:00 a.m.
from the Clovis Unified School District home
page. Parents/Guardians/Caregivers will go through a series of information gathering questions. Transfer students cannot utilize this process until Student Services and School Attendance has approved the transfer application. At the end of the information-gathering portion, the Parents/Guardians/Caregivers will be required to choose an appointment date and time to report to their child's resident school with required enrollment documents to complete the registration process.
Once an appointment date and time is chosen and the Parents/Guardians/Caregivers submits the information, the online registration will be date and time stamped. The date and time stamp is important as many sites use the information to determine a variety of different processes. As long as the parent/legal guardian makes their scheduled appointment time, the online date and time stamp will be honored. It is not important when the parent appointment is at the school site, just that they make the appointment date/time they have chosen. If Parents/Guardians/Caregivers miss their appointment, the date and time stamp will be changed by the school site accordingly. Parents/Guardians/Caregivers that missed their appointment time should contact the school site immediately to schedule a make-up appointment.
For parents that require language assistance or access to the online registration process, computers are available for your use at your resident school and at the Parent Resource Centers located at each high school or educational complex. Please call the high school in your area to confirm the times the Parent Resource Center is open.What do I need to bring to the school site?Parents/Guardians/Caregivers will need to bring the following to their resident school site during their appointment time:
1. A birth certificate or other birth record, such as a baptismal certificate (must provide birth certificate within 30 days)
- Caregivers and Foster Parents will need to bring the Student Services and School Attendance disposition given to them at their appointment.
- Adoptive Parents that have not received a new birth certificate for their child need to bring the court order approving the adoption and, if applicable, the name change.
2. The enrolling Parents/Guardians/Caregivers will need a photo I.D. Only birth parents, legal guardians (with court orders), or caregivers approved by Student Services and School Attendance can enroll a child in school.
3. Any court orders or custody agreements that affect your child or your participation in the school community.
4. Proof of residency, such as a recent PG&E bill, recent water, sewage or garbage bill, current rental agreement, recent property tax payment receipt; recent paycheck stub, escrow papers that indicate a closing date within 45 days; voter registration card or a certified copy of the voter registration application form.
- Proof of Residency must be in the name of the enrolling birth parent, legal guardian (per court order) or caregivers approved by Student Services and School Attendance. If it is not, then the third party, whose name is on the document, must present themselves at the school with the parent to sign a “Declaration of Residency” at the time of enrollment.
5. Written evidence of up-to-date immunizations for: Polio, MMR (Measles, Mumps, and Rubella), DTP (Diphtheria-Tetanus-Pertussis), Hepatitis B series (3 shots over a 6-month period) and Varicella (Chickenpox).
- Immunizations exemptions based on personal beliefs will no longer be an option for the vaccines that are currently required for entry into kindergarten or transitional kindergarten in California.
- For your convenience, in cooperation with the State Department of Health Services and the Fresno County Health Services Agency, CUSD Sierra Vista Children’s Health Center offers immunizations for eligible children.
Sierra Vista Elementary School
Children’s Health Center
510 Barstow Avenue, Clovis
Monday through Thursday
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
California law requires that your child have a dental checkup be May 31, 2020. Dental evaluations that have happened within the 12 months before your child enters school also meet this requirement. Please provide the school with verification from your dentist to the school prior to May 31, 2020.
If you have any questions regarding transitional kindergarten or kindergarten, registration, required enrollment documents, or class offerings, please feel free to contact your resident school.
If you have questions regarding on campus childcare (Campus Club) or preschool programs, please contact Child Development at (559) 327- 9160.
If you have questions regarding school transfers or need an appointment to be approved as a child’s caregiver, please contact Student Services and School Attendance at (559) 327-9200.