Our goal is to provide a safe and supportive expanded learning environment that fosters educational and enrichment opportunities for students and staff at all elementary schools. We value the partnership with parents, site administration, teachers, staff, and community to support the needs of our students.
Expanded Learning Provides:
- A curriculum based on the developmental needs of school-age students.
- Program activities that foster the social, emotional, academic and physical development of children.
- Enrollment open to all CUSD students (TK-6).
- Positive interactions among staff, parents and children that promote respect and sensitivity toward all people.
- A safe, healthy and nurturing environment where character counts.
Programs Offered (based on enrollment):
- Before school program starting at 7:00am to the start of the school day.
- During the school day, Before or After Transitional Kindergarten (TK) / Kindergarten class.
- After school program starting immediately after dismissal until 5:30pm or 6:00pm (depending on the school site).
- Early Release Wednesdays - Starting immediately after school ends on Wednesdays only until the end of the school day time.
- Full Day Programs - offered on select dates/sites during Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer breaks.
TK/KINDERGARTEN Expanded Learning Club Information
Program activities for TK/Kindergarten include:
- Large Group: A group activity time that might include reading a book, weather and calendar review, sharing and daily announcements.
- Enrichment: Enrichment is a planned activity time that relates to the monthly theme and might include activities such as art, cooking, STEM, sensory and dramatic play. Each month the students learn about a different artist and practice the techniques used to create a masterpiece.
- Outdoor Play: Structured and unstructured outdoor play and exploration time.
- Music: The children are introduced to music through dance, listening skills, playing or making their own musical instrument.
- Lunch: TK/Kindergarten students attending Expanded Learning Club will eat lunch daily at no cost. You also have the option of sending your child to school with a lunch packed from home. A monthly menu is available here. We encourage you to use this menu and discuss your child’s lunch choices each day. The CUSD Campus Catering website includes information regarding food allergies and special diets.
- Pick up/Drop off: All TK/Kindergarten students who attend program are dropped off and picked up from their classroom by ELC staff. Parents are responsible to sign students in upon arrival to program and sign students out when they are picked up.
- Expanded Learning Club is a “Mixed Age” Program for Students: During the 3.5-hour Kindergarten ELC programs only TK/Kindergarten students are together. However, during before and after school ELC students from TK through sixth grades will share learning spaces.