How to Become a Substitute Teacher
You must hold a 30 Day Sub Permit or a regular California Credential to work as a substitute teacher. If you need to apply for a 30 Day Sub Permit, please contact the Fresno County Office of Education at 559-265-3005. If they are not accepting appointments at this time, you are welcome to apply directly through the Commission on Teacher Credentialing at https://www.ctc.ca.gov. For further information, please see CTC Leaflet CL505-30 Day Sub Permit.
To qualify for a permit, you must possess a completed Bachelor's Degree and have passed the CBEST.
- Applications for Substitute Teachers are accepted through Edjoin, during an open Substitute Teacher Eligibility Pool. We are not accepting applications during this time, please continue to check back.
- Interviews and Orientations are held once a month.
- Applicants must have all required documents attached to their application in order to be selected for an interview.
- Applicants are notified via email if they are selected for an interview.
The following documents must be attached to your Substitute Teacher application:
- 30 Day Sub Permit or California Credential
- CBEST Scores (passing results)
- Transcripts with posted degree (unofficial are ok)
- Current Resume
- Letter of Recommendation from the Professional/Educational field. (Must be dated within 18 months of application date)
- All new employees must clear fingerprint procedures prior to working. Livescan information will be provided at the New Hire Orientation.
- Clovis Unified cannot accept fingerprint clearance for employment purposes from other agencies, school districts, county offices, or the Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- The fee for fingerprinting is $49.00.
Substitute Teacher Pay
- Substitute Teachers are paid $125 per day.
- Long-Term Substitute positions are paid at $140 per day, starting on the eleventh (11th) consecutive day in the same assignment.
For additional information or questions please email [email protected]