Q. What internet browser works best for editing our websites?
A. Use Google Chrome! Internet Explorer seems to have the most problems when trying to log into the websites.
Q. What are the black bars that appear on an internal webpage?
A. These bars are only visible to the person logged in to edit the page. The public CANNOT see them. Each black bar indicates a separate component. If you only have text on your page, you might only have one Text Window component, and therefore, one black bar. If you have several components on the page, you will have several black bars. The words inside the black bar indicate the "Internal Name." Only an editor of the website can see them. They are used to keep your website components organized so when you are in Edit Page view where it lists all components used, you can clearly see which component is which. You may have multiple of the same type of component throughout various locations on a page, so labeling these is helpful.
Q. How does the CMS and school app work together?
A. Your website sends information to your school's app in these key areas:
- School News (homepage): This is also your homepage for your school's app! If you school news is blank on your website, that means it is also blank on your app!
- School Events (homepage): The same calendar feed goes to the app.
- Internal pages like Report an Absence, Staff Page and Bell Schedule.
Q. The Webmaster at my school is changing. How do I give them access to edit the website?
A. Please have your principal email Kendra Burt
, stating the new webmaster's name.
Q. When should I contact the Digital Communications Team about a website issue?
A. Anytime! We are available and happy to help you. A few tasks we frequently receive requests for help with are:
- Creating a new page
- Adding a new page to the master dropdown menu
- Help with page formatting
- Staff Page formatting
Q. The calendar on my homepage is not reflecting all the events listed in SchoolDude. What can I do?
A. There are several ways you can troubleshoot this issue:
- Make sure the events you're wanting to show up are marked as "visible or public" in SchoolDude
- Did you recently update SchoolDude? It takes up to 48 hours for the change to be reflected on the website.
- Force sync your calendar feed to reflect the updated calendar. Syncing Website Calendars Tutorial HERE >>
- If you synced the calendar and it still isn't working, contact Kendra Burt, x79030
Q. How long should it take for my calendar to update when making a change or creating an event in SchoolDude?
A. This process can take up to 48 hours to update a change or a new event on the website. If it has not updated, try syncing your website. If it has been a lengthy amount of time, please email Kendra Burt
with the SchoolDude Event ID and the correct information of the event that you are trying to see on the website or app.
FILES & IMAGES
Q. How do I add a PDF file to my webpage? *Most common mistake*
A. A PDF file (or Word Document/PowerPoint presentation, etc.) must be added through a Downloads component. Frequent mistakes include trying to add a file to a Text Window component.
Adding a PDF or Download Tutorial HERE >>
Q. What is an RTF and why do I have to have one?
A. RTF stands for Rich Text Format, and it is required for ADA (American Disability Act) compliance. Whenever you add a PDF to a Downloads component, you MUST have an RTF as well so that someone who is vision-impaired can use the RTF document with accessibility software. The RTF downloads as a Word document so that it is accessible for those with a disability.
Q. How do I add a photograph?
A. There are 3 main ways to add a photo to your webpage:
- Embedded in a Text Window component via the grey dropdown.
- Imported from your computer into the Text Window component via the image icon in the text box toolbar.
- Using a Photo Gallery component.
* Photos must ALWAYS have Alt Text to be ADA (American Disability Act) compliant.
Q. What are the image sizes for my website?