True to CUSD’s Mission, the CUSD Parent Academy educates parents on how to foster a positive educational environment and school partnership for their children both at home and at school. CUSD and the Department of Supplemental Services offers the CUSD Parent Academy for school sites. The academies are offered throughout the school year.
The CUSD Parent Academy is designed to create a bridge between home and school and into post-secondary education.
- Parents learn about how grades are used for college admittance;
- Which classes are important and needed for children planning to attend college;
- How to navigate the school system, and other information vital to academic success of their children.
Family engagement and involvement are a commitment to instill the habits of learning and collaboration. When families partner with schools, teachers, and the community, we know their children succeed academically.
Parent Expectations and Student Achievement
- The most consistent predictors of children’s academic achievement and social adjustment are parent expectations of the child’s academic attainment and satisfaction with their child’s education at school.
- Parents of high-achieving students set higher standards for their children’s educational activities than parents of low-achieving students.
For additional information on the CUSD Parent Academies, please call Bob Kampf, Director of Supplemental services @ 327.9086 or @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parents who participate learn how to create a positive and lasting educational environment at home using a number of proven academic success tools:
The CUSD Parent Academy will provide strategies to support, advocate and empower parents to engage fully in the educational lives of their children.
Parents are their children’s first and most important teacher.
The CUSD Parent Academy is a six week academy free to parents. (Academies will be tailored to fit the school community needs.)
- dedicating a home study location and time of day for homework;
- creating ongoing dialogue with their children surrounding their academic successes and challenges;
- Sharing with the families how to navigate the school system that provides results while discussing children’s college expectations; and more.
The CUSD Parent Academy is comprised of a series of Modules taught in English, Spanish and/or Hmong by CUSD NCLB Compliant Employees.
- The CUSD Parent Academy covers several themes, including:
the importance for parents to become involved in their children’s education;
effective strategies for parent involvement;
the role of the parent and of the teacher in influencing student performance;
parent-teacher interaction and conferences;
college and career readiness and expectations and the design of a parent involvement action plan by teachers and administrators.
- Supervised child-care is available to all children of participating family members.
- Participants will be provided with a light dinner, snacks and refreshments at each Module.
- Additional language support is offered in other languages as needed by NCLB compliant CUSD Bilingual Assistant Aides.
- The Academy Module series culminates with a review of all modules, college presentation and discussion with the school principal and staff.
- Participants will increase knowledge base of comprehensive K-12, college and career readiness activities and lessons.
A Participating Parents’ Graduation ceremony
will conclude the final session. This celebration is typically very powerful to parents who may not have completed a formal education and provides an opportunity for their children to see their parents as graduates themselves. Graduation Certificates and medallions will be presented to all participants.